- Would you guys please introduce yourselves and explain your role in the band?
Hey, we are Flush from Finland. Members are Lasse (vocals, guitars, songs), Janne (guitars), Eero (bass) and Börje (Drums). This is Lasse responding to the questions.
2. Where did you guys meet and how did you form this band?
The original core of the band met in the Helsinki suburbs when we were kids. Back then, kids wore cowboy outfits and played with toy guns, so that’s how we got started. After a few band iterations we formed Flush, mostly inspired by punk and various forms of alternative rock. The current line-up was established in 2018 and it is when things really started taking off again.
3. What kind of music do you make or would like to make in the future?
We are typically described as either punk rock or some form of alternative rock. These genre categories are quite difficult, as we don’t directly fit into one specific bucket. We like to explore various shapes and sounds. In the near future, I think we might explore slightly heavier and edgier sounds. Time will tell though…
4. What do you enjoy the most about the process of making music together?
As the songwriter I am always fascinated by how the song ideas, riffs and melodies I have, change and take shape once the band starts arranging it. The songs always end up sounding like Flush, regardless of different I sometimes think they are. For me, music is my most important form of therapy and it helps dealing with my struggles and anxieties. Writing music is not a choice but a must for me.
5. What are some of your favourite themes to explore through your music?
I write about real things that I see or experience. Some songs are relationships songs, some about fears and anxieties, some about the society and politics… all the real stuff. Recently I have been exploring more third-person story-based writing, where fiction meets reality.
6. Who are some artists that you love or who you’d say has had a huge influence on your work?
Usually we mention bands like Bad Religion and Pavement, who are great examples of integrity and authenticity. In terms of song writing and creating musical art, the two big names are Tom Waits and Nick Cave. Extremely creative, bold, authentic, and inspirational music.
7. Where can someone looking for your music, find it?
We are available on all digital platforms. Easiest way to find is to go to our website https://flush.rocks to find the links, or then search for the band Flush and album name ‘It Began as a Mistake’ (released October 2020).
8. What’s your favourite part about touring/ doing live performances?
Playing live is the best part of being in a band. It is where all the hard work comes together and we get to share it with people. Studio work and practicing is great, but the real thing is live shows. It’s why we do this.
9. What kind of message would you like to give your fans, through your music?
Our lyrics deal with the darker side of life, but our point is to give people glimpses of hope in the despair that surround us. When we support each other, we can get through the hardest of times, together.
10. Where do you guys see yourselves in the future, or what are you future plans for the band?The first and most pressing thing is for the world to return to some form of normalcy so that live music can return again. We haven’t gotten to celebrate and promote our new album, so we hope to be able to play some shows sometime in 2021. We have some new material in the works as well, so maybe we will record something in the new year too. Look us up on Facebook (https://facebook.com/flushmusic) or check our website at https://flush.rocks to stay updated on our plans.