1. Would you guys please introduce yourselves and explain your role in the band?
My name is Andy “Dirt” McGurk and I play and produce every instrument.
2. Where did you guys meet and how did you form this band?
I met myself as an infant many years ago, but I only discover myself for Vulgarithm back in late 2019. I had been in other bands, and still am, but I wanted to take a new musical direction.
3. What kind of music do you make or would like to make in the future?
I call it “Riff Rave”, you take the best guitar riffs from the early 2000s, mix it together with the essential sounds of 90s dance, and you come up with something pretty special. Over the course of my EP trilogy I hope to lock in on a sound that makes people say “That’s Vulgarithm!”
4. What do you enjoy the most about the process of making music together?
I love making music, always have since the age of 10 or 11. whether it’s a simple chord structure or a full blown heavy riff, watching something come together and take shape is so much fun.
5. What are some of your favourite themes to explore through your music?
Music is a great way to heal or escape, so my lyrical themes are either venting over aspects in life, be it personal or global. or they are over the top ridiculous songs that take your mind off the world for that split second. I don’t want to push myself into a corner and write about a few things, I want all things to be acceptable to write about.
6. Who are some artists that you love or who you’d say has had a huge influence on your work
Trent Reznor of NIN and Maynard James Keenan of Tool, A Perfect Circle and Puscifer. The level of detail that goes into their songwriting is the bar I set myself when creating anything. As for Vulgarithm itself, many dance acts like The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Leftfield, Orbital etc. have influenced me a lot.
7. Where can someone looking for your music, find it?
Spotify link https://open.spotify.com/artist/5tDdWjYK9bws0iEfG2fPVWApple link https://music.apple.com/us/artist/vulgarithm/1475137798Amazon https://music.amazon.com/artists/B07VZWJGBF/vulgarithmvulgarithm.bandcamp.comyoutube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVlHfQUmKWjmxgOXIUQRNsQVulgarithm merch https://vulgarithm.dizzyjam.com/
8. What’s your favourite part about touring/ doing live performances?
As Vulgarithm has only been in existence for a year, unfortunately we have not played live yet. One day we will be able to go to gigs and you will see the full majesty of what I want to do live.
9. What kind of message would you like to give your fans, through your music?
Say what needs to be said, music is very therapeutic for me so if I didn’t say it through my music then I’d bottle up a lot of emotions and I would be a fragile mess. Also see the funny side of everything, nothing can ever be too serious and as soon as something is you’ve lost the battle.
10. Where do you guys see yourselves in the future, or what are you future plans for the band?
Playing live in front of people, being with other musicians and we are all having a good time. A simple vision in an unprecedented time.